Jan. 19th, 2017

reviews_and_ramblings: (Default)
Alice Eastwood was a Canadian American botanist. She is credited with building the botanical collection at the California Academy of Sciences, located in San Francisco. She published over 310 scientific articles.
Born: January 19, 1859, Toronto, Canada
Died: October 30, 1953, San Francisco, California, United States
Buried: Toronto Necropolis Cemetery and Crematorium, Toronto, Toronto Municipality, Ontario, Canada
Field: Botany
Institutions: California Academy of Sciences, more

In 1909 Emily Williams undertook the remodelling of Katherine Chandler’s Deer Park Inn near Lake Tahoe. Emily probably met Chandler, a botanist and author, in Pacific Grove where Chandler frequently rented a corrage. Both women were friends of Etta Belle Lloyd, a Pacific Grove businesswoman who ran an insurance agency and managed several commercial properties that had been owned by her father David.
Address: Olympic Valley, CA 96146, USA (39.19698, -120.2357)
Type: Public Park
Place
Many years before the Alpine Meadows Ski Area was developed the Deer Park Springs Hotel was constructed by John Brown Scott who owned land in Squaw Valley where he and his wife ran a successful dairy ranch that had been previously owned and operated by her first husband John P. Scott. In 1880 they completed construction of a 3 story 20 room hotel. 8 cabins were added with in the following 3 years. Across Bear Creek were iron, sulphur, and soda mineral springs which lured guests who bathed in them for health reasons. A social hall, stable, and barn were constructed to house horses and milk cows. The cabins had names such as “Forty Nine” named after the 49 steps leading to it pine entry door. In the 1890’s Scott would run a stage couch to Truckee where he picked up guests arriving by train from San Francisco. In 1900 a post office was established for the resort. In the same year a railroad station was constructed at the corner of Deer Park Road and the Truckee River where the new Lake Tahoe Railway from Truckee to Tahoe City would stop to drop off and pick up guests. Shortly after the turn of the century John Scott died and the resort was sold to Miss Katherine Chandler in 1905 a teacher of botany from San Francisco. She added tennis and croquet grounds to the resort. Other families owned the property in subsequent years, however in 1920 it was foreclosed upon by the San Francisco Board of Trade. After this the property went into a decaying state and was mostly lost to future travelers. John McNutt was the caretaker for the resort until 1909. It was from Deer Park that the trail into the famous Hell Hole was recut by Miss Katherine Chandler in 1908, after having been lost for many years. There has been some talk, recently, of converting Deer Park into a private park. Situated as it is in the heart of a canyon it is readily isolated and thus kept entirely secluded and free from intrusion. While such a procedure would be a great advantage to any individual or club who might purchase the estate, it would be a decided loss to the general public who for so many years have enjoyed the charms and delights of this earliest of Sierran mountain resorts.
Life
Who: Katherine Chandler (died before 1942) and Alice Eastwood (January 19, 1859 - October 30, 1953)
Alice Eastwood was born to Colin Skinner Eastwood and Eliza Jane Gowdey Eastwood on January 19, 1859, in Toronto Canada. The family moved to Denver, Colorado in 1873 and Alice Eastwood went on to graduate as valedictorian from Shawa Convent Catholic High School in 1879. For the next ten years, Eastwood would teach at her alma mater, forgoing a college education. Using Grey’s Manual and the Flora of Colorado, Alice Eastwood would use this time to teach herself botany, going on various collecting trips during her vacations. In 1891, after reviewing Eastwood’s collection in Denver, Mary Katharine Brandegee, Curator of the Botany Department at the California Academy of Sciences, invited Eastwood to assist in the Academy’s Herbarium. This would be the beginning of Alice Eastwood’s long and fruitful career at the Academy of Sciences. The following year, Alice Eastwood would become joint Curator of the Botany Department at the Academy, alongside Mary Katharine Brandegee. Brandegee’s retirement in 1894 resulted in Alice Eastwood becoming the sole Curator and Head of the Botany Department at the Academy. Eastwood completed many trips at this time and collected and discovered a number of plants on the California coast. Against conventional practices of the time, Eastwood segregated type specimens from the main collection. This would prove to be an ingenious practice after the San Francisco 1906 earthquake and fire. After the earthquake, Eastwood went to the Academy and found the building deeply damaged. With the help of Robert Porter, Alice Eastwood was able to save 1,497 type specimens from the impending fire that was devouring the city and that was already burning the neighboring building. The fire would go on to destroy most of the Academy’s collections. Afterwards, Alice Eastwood traveled and studied throughout Europe and the United States. She eventually returned to the Academy as Curator of the Botany Department. She dedicated herself to rebuilding the collection and her expeditions were numerous, including collecting trips to Alaska, Arizona, Baja California, British Columbia, Utah, and all throughout California. By 1942, the collection numbered over 300,000 plant specimens, nearly three times the number destroyed in 1906 earthquake and fire. After 50 years of service to the Academy, Eastwood retired in 1950 at the age of ninety. Her inexhaustible career included the publication of over 300 articles, numerous books, and eight plant species of which were named after her. Along with John Thomas Howell, she founded the journal, Leaflets of Western Botany, served as editor for Zoe, helped to form the American Fuchsia Society, and worked to save a redwood grove in Humboldt County (which was named Alice Eastwood Memorial Grove). And so, at the age 94, on October 30, 1953, Alice Eastwood died in San Francisco, ending a prolific career at the California Academy of Sciences. The Garden of Shakespearean Flowers in Golden Gate Park was originated by Miss Alice Eastwood, botanist of Golden Gate Park, and carried out by the late Miss Katherine Chandler. Chandler credited Alice Eastwood in her “Habits of California Plants”, written in 1903 especially for children, as her teacher. Alice Eastwood died on October 30, 1953, in San Francisco. In spite of her advanced age, she was in good health and lived, independent and alone, in a small cottage until May, 1952, when she fell and broke her hip. Following this accident, she was apparently recovering and in excellent spirits, when in September, 1953, a reaction set in with complications that led to her death. She was buried in Toronto Necropolis (200 Winchester Street, Toronto, ON M4X 1B7, Canada), a XIX-century burial ground featuring Gothic architecture & the tombs of many prominent Torontonians.



Queer Places, Vol. 1 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532901904
ISBN-10: 1532901909
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228297
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532901909/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ1BU9K/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
reviews_and_ramblings: (Default)
Boris Evgenievich Kochno or Kokhno was a Russian poet, dancer and librettist. Kochno was born in Moscow, Russia, on 3 January 1904. His father served as a colonel in the hussars.
Born: January 3, 1904, Moscow, Russia
Died: December 8, 1990, Paris, France
Books: Christian Bʹerard, Diaghilev, and the Ballets Russes
Libretti: Mavra
Buried: Cimetière du Père Lachaise, Paris, City of Paris, Île-de-France, France, Plot: Division 16
Buried alongside: Wladimir Augenblick

After Nijinsky, Diaghilev's next discovery was an unknown young actor, Léonide Massine, whom he developed into a great dancer and one of the seminal choreographers of the 20th century. They were together until 1920, when Massine married. Diaghilev successively fell in love with: Boris Kochno, a precocious young poet who eventually became associate director of Ballets Russes; Anton Dolin, a vivacious British dancer; Serge Lifar, a young Russian who traveled to Paris in 1924 determined to seduce Diaghilev and who became the premier danseur of Ballets Russes and, later, the director of the Paris Opera Ballet; and Igor Markevitch, a musical prodigy. Markevitch's first wife was Kyra Nijinska (1913/1914-1998), daughter of Vaslav Nijinsky. She bore him a son, Vaslav (b. 1936), before they divorced.
Sergei Pavlovich Diaghilev (March 31, 1872 – August 19, 1929)
Leonid Fyodorovich Myasin aka Léonide Massine (August 9, 1896 –March 15, 1979)
Boris Evgenievich Kochno (January 3, 1904 – December 8, 1990)
Sir Anton Dolin (July 27, 1904 –November 25, 1983)
Serge Lifar (April 15, 1905 –December 15, 1986)
Igor Markevitch (July 27, 1912 – March 7, 1983)



Days of Love edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1500563325
ISBN-10: 1500563323
Release Date: September 21, 2014
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/4910282
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1500563323/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MZG0VHY/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

Vast tree-lined burial site with famous names including Oscar Wilde, Jim Morrison & Maria Callas.
Address: 16 Rue du Repos, 75020 Paris, France (48.86139, 2.39332)
Type: Cemetery (open to public)
Hours: Monday through Friday 8.00-18.00, Saturday 8.30-18.00, Sunday 9.00-18.00
Phone: +33 1 55 25 82 10
Place
Père Lachaise Cemetery is the largest cemetery in the city of Paris (44 hectares or 110 acres), though there are larger cemeteries in the city’s suburbs. Père Lachaise is in the 20th arrondissement and is notable for being the first garden cemetery, as well as the first municipal cemetery. It is also the site of three WWI memorials. The cemetery is on Boulevard de Ménilmontant. The Paris Métro station Philippe Auguste on line 2 is next to the main entrance, while the station called Père Lachaise, on both lines 2 and 3, is 500 metres away near a side entrance that has been closed to the public. Many tourists prefer the Gambetta station on line 3, as it allows them to enter near the tomb of Oscar Wilde and then walk downhill to visit the rest of the cemetery. Père Lachaise Cemetery was opened on May 21, 1804. The first person buried there was a five-year-old girl named Adélaïde Paillard de Villeneuve, the daughter of a door bell-boy of the Faubourg St. Antoine. Her grave no longer exists as the plot was a temporary concession. Napoleon, who had been proclaimed Emperor by the Senate three days earlier, had declared during the Consulate that "Every citizen has the right to be buried regardless of race or religion.”
Notable queer burials at Père Lachaise:
• Louise Abbéma (1853-1927) was a French painter, sculptor, and designer of the Belle Époque. She first received recognition for her work at age 23 when she painted a portrait of Sarah Bernhardt, her lifelong friend and possibly her lover.
• Sarah Bernhardt (1844-1923) was a French stage and early film actress.
• Rosa Bonheur (1822-1899), Nathalie Micas (1824-1889) and Anna Elizabeth Klumpke (1856-1942), buried together.
• Colette (Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette, 1873-1954) was a French novelist nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1948. She embarked on a relationship with Mathilde de Morny, Marquise de Belbeuf ("Missy"), with whom she sometimes shared the stage.
• Alphonse Daudet (1840–1897) was a French novelist. He was the husband of Julia Daudet and father of Edmée Daudet, and writers Léon Daudet and Lucien Daudet. Cultivated, “very beautiful, very elegant, a thin and frail young man, with a tender and a somewhat effeminate face”, according to Jean-Yves Tadié, Lucien Daudet lived a fashionable life which made him meet Marcel Proust. They shared at least a friendship (if not a sexual relationship), which was revealed by Jean Lorrain in his chronicle in the Journal. It is for this indiscretion that Proust and Lorrain fought a duel in 1897. Daudet was also friends with Jean Cocteau.
• Isadora Duncan (1877-1927) was an American dancer. Bisexual she had a daughter by theatre designer Gordon Craig, and a son by Paris Singer, one of the many sons of sewing machine magnate Isaac Singer. She had relationships with Eleonara Duse and Mercedes de Acosta. She married the Russian bisexual poet Sergei Yesenin, who was 18 years her junior.
• Joseph Fiévée (1767-1839) was a French journalist, novelist, essayist, playwright, civil servant (haut fonctionnaire) and secret agent. Joseph Fiévée married in 1790 (his brother-in-law was Charles Frédéric Perlet), but his wife died giving birth, leaving him one child. At the end of the 1790s, he met the writer Théodore Leclercq who became his life companion, and the two would live and raise Fiévée’s son together. When becoming Préfet, Fiévée and Leclercq moved to the Nièvre department, and their open relationship greatly shocked some locals. The two men were received together in the salons of the Restoration. Both men are buried in the same tomb at Père Lachaise Cemetery.
• Anne-Louis Girodet (1767-1824) was a French painter and pupil of Jacques-Louis David, who was part of the beginning of the Romantic movement by adding elements of eroticism through his paintings. According to the scholar Diana Knight, over the years Girodet’s homosexuality became widely known.
• Reynaldo Hahn (1874-1947) was a Venezuelan, naturalised French, composer, conductor, music critic, diarist, theatre director, and salon singer.
• Harry Graf Kessler (1868-1937) was an Anglo-German count, diplomat, writer, and patron of modern art. In his introduction to “Berlin Lights” (2000) Ian Buruma asserted Kessler was homosexual and struggled his whole life to conceal it.
• Boris Yevgen'yevich Kochno (1904-1990), was hired as the personal secretary to Serge Diaghilev, the impresario of the famed Ballets Russes. He served in this capacity until Diaghilev's death in 1929. In addition to his other duties, he also wrote several ballet libretti for the troupe. He died in 1990 in Paris following a fall. He was buried next to Wladimir Augenblick who died in 2001.
• Mathilde (Missy) de Morny (1863-1944), a French noblewoman, artist and transgender figure, she became a lover of several women in Paris, including Liane de Pougy and Colette.
• Marcel Proust (1871-1922) was a French novelist, critic, and essayist best known for his monumental novel “À la recherche du temps perdu” (In Search of Lost Time), published in seven parts between 1913 and 1927. Also his friend and sometime lover, Reynaldo Hahn is buried here.
• Mlle Raucourt (1756-1815) was a French actress.
• Oscar Wilde’s tomb in Père Lachaise was designed by sculptor Sir Jacob Epstein, at the request of Robert Ross (1869-1918), who also asked for a small compartment to be made for his own ashes. Ross's ashes were transferred to the tomb in 1950.
• Salomon James de Rothschild (1835–1864) was a French banker and socialite. He was the father of Baroness Hélène van Zuylen.
• Raymond Roussel (1877-1933) wrote and published some of his most important work between 1900 and 1914, and then from 1920 to 1921 traveled around the world. He continued to write for the next decade, but when his fortune finally gave out, he made his way to a hotel in Palermo, Grand Hotel Et Des Palmes (Via Roma, 398, 90139 Palermo), where he died of a barbiturate overdose in 1933, aged 56.
• Gertrude Stein (1874-1946) was an American writer of novels, poetry and plays. In 1933, Stein published a kind of memoir of her Paris years, “The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas,” written in the voice of Toklas, her life partner. Alice B. Toklas (1877-1967) was an American-born member of the Parisian avant-garde of the early XX century. They are buried together.
• Pavel Tchelitchew (1898-1957), Russian-born surrealist painter. Loved by Edith Sitwell, he then in turn fell in love with Charles Henry Ford and moved with him in New York City.
• Oscar Wilde (1854-1900) was an Irish playwright, novelist, essayist, and poet. The modernist angel depicted as a relief on the tomb was originally complete with male genitals. They were broken off as obscene and kept as a paperweight by a succession of Père Lachaise Cemetery keepers. Their current whereabouts are unknown. In the summer of 2000, intermedia artist Leon Johnson performed a 40 minute ceremony entitled Re-membering Wilde in which a commissioned silver prosthesis was installed to replace the vandalised genitals.



Queer Places, Vol. 3 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532906695
ISBN-10: 1532906692
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228901
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532906692/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZXI10E/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
reviews_and_ramblings: (Default)
Brion Gysin was a painter, writer, sound poet, and performance artist born in Taplow, Buckinghamshire. He is best known for his discovery of the cut-up technique, used by his friend, the novelist William S. Burroughs.
Born: January 19, 1916, Taplow, United Kingdom
Died: July 13, 1986, Paris, France
Education: Sorbonne
Lived: Beat Hotel, Relais Hôtel du Vieux Paris, 9, rue Git-le-Coeur, 6th arr., 75006 Paris, France (48.85391, 2.34285)
Artwork: Calligraffiti of Fire, more
Movies: The Cut Ups, Flicker, Destroy All Rational Thought, William S. Burroughs: Thee Films: 1950s-1960s
Parents: Leonard Gysin, Stella Margaret Martin

The Beat Hotel was a small, run-down hotel of 42 rooms at 9 Rue Gît-le-Cœur in the Latin Quarter of Paris, notable chiefly as a residence for members of the Beat poetry movement of the mid-XX century.
Address: Relais Hôtel du Vieux Paris, 9, rue Git-le-Coeur, 6th arr., 75006 Paris, France (48.85391, 2.34285)
Type: Guest facility (open to public)
Phone: +33 1 44 32 15 90
Place
The Beat Hotel was a "class 13" hotel, meaning bottom line, a place that was required by law to meet only minimum health and safety standards. It never had any proper name – "the Beat Hotel" was a nickname given by Gregory Corso, which stuck. The rooms had windows facing the interior stairwell and not much light. Hot water was available Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. The hotel offered the opportunity for a bath – in the only bathtub, situated on the ground floor – provided the guest reserved time beforehand and paid the surcharge for hot water. Curtains and bedspreads were changed and washed every spring. The linen was (in principle) changed every month. The Beat Hotel was managed by a married couple, Monsieur and Madame Rachou, from 1933. After the death of Monsieur Rachou in a traffic accident in 1957, Madame was the sole manager until the early months of 1963, when the hotel was closed. Besides letting rooms, the establishment had a small bistro on the ground floor. Due to early experiences with working at an inn frequented by Monet and Pissarro, Madame Rachou would encourage artists and writers to stay at the hotel and even at times permit them to pay the rent with paintings or manuscripts. One unusual thing that appealed to a clientele of bohemian artists was the permission to paint and decorate the rooms rented in whichever way they wanted. The hotel gained fame through the extended “family” of beat writers and artists who stayed there from the late 1950s to the early 1960s in a ferment of creativity. Allen Ginsberg and Peter Orlovsky first stayed there in 1957 and were soon joined by William S. Burroughs, Derek Raymond, Harold Norse and Gregory Corso, as well as Sinclair Beiles. It was here that Burroughs completed the text of “Naked Lunch” and began his lifelong collaboration with Brion Gysin. It was also where Ian Sommerville became Burroughs’ “systems advisor” and lover. Gysin introduced Burroughs to the Cut-up technique and with Sommerville they experimented with a “dream machine” and audio tape cut-ups. Here Norse wrote a novel, “Beat Hotel,” using cut-up techniques. Ginsberg wrote a part of his moving and mature poem “Kaddish” at the hotel and Corso wrote the mushroom cloud-shaped poem “Bomb.” There is now a small hotel, the four-star Relais du Vieux Paris, at that address. It displays photographs of several Beat personalities and describes itself as "The Beat Hotel.” In July 2009, as part of a major William Burroughs symposium, NakedLunch@50, a special tribute was held outside 9 Rue Gît-le-Coeur, with Jean-Jacques Lebel unveiling a plaque commemorative, now permanently hammered to the outside wall next to the main entrance, honoring the Beat Hotel’s seven most famous occupants: B. Gysin, H. Norse, G. Corso, A. Ginsberg, P. Orlovsky, I. Sommerville, W. Burroughs.
Life
Who: William Seward Burroughs II (February 5, 1914 – August 2, 1997)
William Burroughs moved into the rundown hotel in the Latin Quarter of Paris in 1959 when “Naked Lunch” was still looking for a publisher. Tangier, with its easy access to drugs, small groups of homosexuals, growing political unrest, and an odd collection of criminals, had become increasingly unhealthy for Burroughs. He went to Paris to meet Ginsberg and talk with Olympia Press. In so doing, he left a brewing legal problem, which eventually transferred itself to Paris. Paul Lund, a British former career criminal and cigarette smuggler whom Burroughs met in Tangier, was arrested on suspicion of importing narcotics into France. Lund gave up Burroughs, and some evidence implicated Burroughs in the possible importation of narcotics into France. Once again, the man faced criminal charges, this time in Paris for conspiracy to import opiates, when the Moroccan authorities forwarded their investigation to French officials. Yet it was under this impending threat of criminal sanction that Maurice Girodias published “Naked Lunch;” the publication helped in getting Burroughs a suspended sentence, since a literary career, according to Ted Morgan, is a respected profession in France. The "Beat Hotel" was a typical European-style boarding house hotel, with common toilets on every floor, and a small place for personal cooking in the room. Life there was documented by the photographer Harold Chapman, who lived in the attic room. This shabby, inexpensive hotel was populated by Gregory Corso, Ginsberg and Peter Orlovsky for several months after “Naked Lunch” first appeared. The actual process of publication was partly a function of its "cut-up" presentation to the printer. Girodias had given Burroughs only ten days to prepare the manuscript for print galleys, and Burroughs sent over the manuscript in pieces, preparing the parts in no particular order. When it was published in this authentically random manner, Burroughs liked it better than the initial plan. International rights to the work were sold soon after, and Burroughs used the $3,000 advance from Grove Press to buy drugs (equivalent to approximately $24,353 in today’s funds.) “Naked Lunch” was featured in a 1959 Life magazine cover story, partly as an article that highlighted the growing Beat literary movement. During this time Burroughs found an outlet for material otherwise rendered unpublishable in Jeff Nuttall’s My Own Mag. Also, some of Burroughs poetry appeared in the avant garde little magazine Nomad at the beginning of the 1960s. Ian Sommerville (1940–1976) was an electronics technician and computer programmer. He is primarily known through his association with William S. Burroughs’s circle of Beat Generation figures, and lived at Paris’s so-called "Beat Hotel" by 1960, when they were regulars there, becoming Burroughs’s lover and "systems adviser.” He died in a single-car accident due to inexperience near Bath, England in 1976 shortly after obtaining his first driving licence.



Queer Places, Vol. 3 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532906695
ISBN-10: 1532906692
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228901
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532906692/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZXI10E/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
reviews_and_ramblings: (Default)
Catherine Talbot was an English author and member of the Blue Stockings Society.
Born: May 1721, Berkshire, United Kingdom
Died: January 19, 1770, London, United Kingdom
People also search for: Elizabeth Carter, Elizabeth Vesey, Montagu 1762-1849 Pennington, Ed
Lived: Lambeth Palace, Lambeth, London SE1 7JU, UK (51.49577, -0.11984)

Elizabeth Carter was an English poet, classicist, writer and translator, and a member of the Bluestocking Circle. Catherine Talbot was an English author. February 1741 saw the beginning of her lifelong friendship with Elizabeth Carter. The two women carried on a lively and copious correspondence. During the whole period of her residence with Thomas Secker, a protégé of Talbot’s father, Catherine Talbot was Secker's almoner. In 1760, accompanied by Elizabeth Carter, she went to Bristol for her health. Secker died in 1768, leaving to Mrs. Talbot and her daughter £13,000 in the public funds. The women moved from Lambeth Palace to Lower Grosvenor Street. There Catherine died of cancer on January 9, 1770, aged 48. Several poems were written in her praise. At her daughter's death in 1770, Mrs. Talbot put her daughter's manuscripts into Elizabeth Carter's hand, leaving their publication to her discretion.
Together from 1741 to 1770: 29 years.
Elizabeth Carter (December 16, 1717 – February 19, 1806)
Catherine Talbot (May 1721 – January 9, 1770)



Days of Love edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1500563325
ISBN-10: 1500563323
Release Date: September 21, 2014
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/4910282
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1500563323/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MZG0VHY/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

Lambeth Palace is the official London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury in England, in north Lambeth, on the south bank of the River Thames, 400 m south-east of the Palace of Westminster which has the Houses of Parliament on the opposite bank.
Address: Lambeth, London SE1 7JU, UK (51.49577, -0.11984)
Type: Religious Building (open to public)
Hours: Monday through Sunday 9.30-17.30
Phone: +44 20 7898 1200
English Heritage Building ID: 204400 (Grade I, 1951)
Place
It was at Lambeth Palace where Mary Benson came into her own. As wife of the Archbishop of Canterbury she found her wit, conversational dexterity and irresistible charm suddenly given wide social range. Mary described life at Lambeth Palace as a “thunderous whirlpool,” a “beating fervent keen pulsating life” of queens and countesses, of discussing politics with prime ministers and dining with poets laureate. The building – originally called the Manor of Lambeth or Lambeth House – has been the London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury for nearly 800 years, whose original residence was in Canterbury, Kent. It was acquired by the archbishopric around 1200 AD and has the largest collection of records of the church in its library. It is bounded by Lambeth Palace Road to the west and Lambeth Road to the south but unlike all surrounding land is excluded from the parish of North Lambeth. The garden park is listed and resembles Archbishop’s Park, a neighbouring public park, however was a larger area with a notable orchard until the early XIX century. The former church in front of its entrance has been converted to the Garden Museum. Back in XVIII century, also Catherine Talbot (1721-1770), part of the household of Thomas Secker, Archbihop of Canterbury, lived at Lambeth Palace. Catherine was part of the Blue Stocking Society and had a special friendship with Elizabeth Carter (1717-1806) to whom Catherine’s mother gave her manuscripts after the death from cancer in 1770 of her daughter.
Life
Who: Mary Benson, née Sidgwick (1841 – June 15, 1918)
Mary Benson was an hostess of the Victorian era. She was the wife of Revd. Edward Benson, who during their marriage became Archbishop of Canterbury, i.e. chief bishop of the Church of England and of the world-wide Anglican communion. Their children included several prolific authors and contributors to cultural life. During her marriage, she was involved with Lucy Tait (1856-1938), daughter of the previous Archbishop of Canterbury. She was described by Gladstone, the British Prime Minister, as the “cleverest woman in Europe.” Between 1860 and 1871 she had six children. Their fifth child was the novelist, E. F. Benson, best remembered for the Mapp and Lucia novels and who displeased Oscar Wilde by taking Wilde’s lover Lord Alfred Douglas on a riotous holiday up the Nile. Another son was Arthur A. C. Benson, the author of the lyrics to Elgar’s "Land of Hope and Glory" and master of Magdalene College, Cambridge. Their sixth and youngest child, Robert Hugh Benson, became a priest in the Church of England before converting to Roman Catholicism and writing many popular novels and had a passionate friendship with the writer Frederick Rolfe (the selfstyled “Baron Corvo.”) Their daughter, Margaret “Maggie” Benson was an artist, author and amateur Egyptologist and, accompanied by her friend Nettie Gourlay, ruled over archaeological digs with a whip and a few words of Arabic. After her husband’s death in 1896 Mary set up household with Lucy Tait, daughter of the previous archbishop of Canterbury, Archibald Campbell Tait, who had first moved in with the Bensons in 1889. None of her sons or daughter was “the marrying sort.” At times the family would gather – their various handsome valets and faithful companions in tow – at Mary and Lucy’s house. But Maggie, insanely jealous of Mary’s relationship with Lucy, tried to kill her mother and was institutionalised. Arthur suffered numerous breakdowns. Hugh troubled Mary with his highly public Catholicism and died young. Her friend, the composer Ethel Smyth (1858-1944), once remarked that she was, “as good as God and as clever as the Devil.”



Queer Places, Vol. 2 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532906312
ISBN-10: 1532906315
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228833
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532906315/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ1KZBO/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
reviews_and_ramblings: (Default)
Morris Kight was an American gay rights pioneer and peace activist. He is considered one of the original founders of the gay and lesbian civil rights movement in the United States.
Born: November 19, 1919, Comanche County, Texas, United States
Died: January 19, 2003, Los Angeles, California, United States
Education: Texas Christian University
Lived: 1822 W 4th St, Los Angeles, CA 90057, USA (34.06055, -118.27037)
Organizations founded: Gay Liberation Front, Los Angeles LGBT Center

Morris Kight was a gay rights pioneer and peace activist, based in Los Angeles. He is considered one of the original founders of the gay and lesbian civil rights movement in the United States. In 1958, Kight moved to Los Angeles, where he was the founder or co-founder of many gay and lesbian organizations. The first such organization was the Gay Liberation Front (GLF) in October 1969, the third GLF in the country (after New York and Berkeley). By the next year, there were over 350 GLF organizations around the country. He had a longtime companion named Roy Zucheran, whom he met in 1978. Three days before his death, he donated his memorabilia and archives to the National Gay and Lesbian Archives in Los Angeles. UCLA also has possession of some of his archives. There is a Chinese magnolia tree and a bronze plaque dedicated to him at the Matthew Shepard Triangle in West Hollywood. Morris Kight used to visit this park weekly to tidy up the area, water and plant new flowers. He encouraged others to do the same.
Together from 1978 to 2003: 25 years.
Morris Kight (November 19, 1919 - January 19, 2003)



Days of Love edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1500563325
ISBN-10: 1500563323
Release Date: September 21, 2014
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/4910282
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1500563323/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MZG0VHY/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

Though his work focused on Los Angeles, Morris Kight's contributions to the LGBTQ community have spanned the globe. The Gay Community Services Center (now the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center) has grown into the world's largest provider of LGBTQ programs and services. Since Christopher Street West's founding march in 1970 in Los Angeles, gay pride parades and festivals are not only celebrated across the U.S. during the month of June, but also across six continents. Kight remained an influential LGBTQ rights activist late in life. In 1987, he served as a leader of the Second National March on Washington for Gay Rights. The following year, he received a lifetime achievement award from the West Hollywood City Council.
Address: 1822 W 4th St, Los Angeles, CA 90057, USA (34.06055, -118.27037)
Type: Private Property
Life
Who: Morris Kight (November 19, 1919 - January 19, 2003)
Morris Kight is considered one of the founding fathers of the American LGBTQ civil rights movement. Though little is known about his Los Angeles residence, this modest Craftsman home in the Westlake neighborhood—a hub of LGBTQ social activity in the twentieth century—helped form the backdrop to his work as activist and gay rights pioneer. Born and raised in Texas, Kight moved to Los Angeles in 1958, where he would go on to co-found several prominent LGBTQ rights organizations. The most notable of these is the Commitee for Homosexual Freedom, which became the Gay Liberation Front (GLF) in 1969. At the time of the GLF's founding in Los Angeles, two other chapters of the GLF were flourishing in Berkeley and New York. Kight also spearheaded the creation of the Gay Community Services Center, which today is known as the Los Angeles LGBT Center. In 1970, Kight co-founded the Christopher Street West gay pride parade in Los Angeles, the first gay pride parade and festival in the world and still a model for pride events across the globe.



Queer Places, Vol. 1 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532901904
ISBN-10: 1532901909
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228297
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532901909/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ1BU9K/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
reviews_and_ramblings: (Default)
Ogden Codman Jr. was an American architect and interior decorator in the Beaux-Arts styles, and co-author with Edith Wharton of The Decoration of Houses, which became a standard in American interior design.
Born: January 19, 1863, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Died: January 8, 1951, France
Education: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Books: The Decoration of Houses, The Decoration of Houses - Scholar's Choice Edition
People also search for: Edith Wharton, Richard Morris Hunt, Francis L.V. Hoppin, Seth C. Bradford, Lucy Wharton Drexel
Lived: Codman House, 34 Codman Rd, Lincoln, MA 01773, USA (42.41838, -71.33083)
7 East 96th Street, New York, NY 10128, USA (40.78782, -73.95489)
Château de Grégy, 7 Allée du Château, 77166 Évry-Grégy-sur-Yerre, France (48.65295, 2.63185)
Villa Leopolda, Villefranche-sur-Mer, France (43.70397, 7.3111)
Buried: Lincoln Cemetery, Lincoln, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, USA

Ogden Codman, Jr. was an American architect and interior decorator in the Beaux-Arts styles, and co-author with Edith Wharton of The Decoration of Houses (1897). Codman spent his youth from 1875 to 1884 at Dinard, an American resort colony in France, and on returning to America in 1884, studied at the MIT. Wharton became one of his first Newport clients for her home there, Land's End. Subsequently she introduced Codman to Cornelius Vanderbilt II, who hired him to design the second and third floor rooms of his Newport summer home, The Breakers. In 1907, Codman built the Codman-Davis House in Washington, D.C. for his cousin Martha Codman, one of the few intact homes that he designed. This included a carriage house, now the Apex Night Club, ironically a gay club. Although a noted homosexual, on 8 October, 1904, Codman married one of his commissioner, Leila Griswold Webb, widow of railroad magnate H. Walter Webb, who died unexpectedly in 1910. In 1920, Codman left New York to return to France, where he spent the rest of his life at the Château de Grégy, wintering at Villa Leopolda in Villefranche-sur-Mer: it is his masterpiece, the fullest surviving expression of his esthetic.
Together from 1904 to 1910: 6 years.
Leila Howard Griswold Webb Codman (November 12, 1856 - January 21, 1910)
Ogden Codman, Jr. (January 19, 1863 - January 8, 1951)



Days of Love edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1500563325
ISBN-10: 1500563323
Release Date: September 21, 2014
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/4910282
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1500563323/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MZG0VHY/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

The Codman House (also known as The Grange) is a historic house set on a 16-acre (6.5 ha) estate at 34 Codman Road, Lincoln, Massachusetts.
Address: 34 Codman Rd, Lincoln, MA 01773, USA (42.41838, -71.33083)
Type: Museum (open to public)
Phone:+1 617-994-6671
National Register of Historic Places: 74000373, 1974
Place
Built in approximately 1735 in the Georgian style
Thanks to a gift by Dorothy Codman, Codman Estate has been owned by Historic New England since 1969 and is open to the public June 1–October 15 on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month. The main house was originally built by Chambers Russell I. It was enlarged in the 1790s to its current three-story Federal style by John Codman, brother-in-law of Chambers Russell III and executor of his estate. This was perhaps with some involvement of noted American architect Charles Bulfinch. The interior is extensively furnished with portraits, memorabilia, and art works collected in Europe. Various rooms preserve the decorative schemes of every era, including those of noted interior designer Ogden Codman, Jr. The former carriage house, built c. 1870 to a design by Snell and Gregerson, is also located on the property. Until the 1980s, it was original to its use as a stable and an early auto garage and contained many artifacts of both. A few of those artifacts continue to be on display in the carriage house including an early gas pump and a large machine powered lathe. The grounds have been farmed almost continuously since 1735 and now also include an Italian garden, circa 1899, with perennial beds, statuary, and a reflecting pool filled with waterlilies, as well as an English cottage garden, circa 1930.
Life
Who: Ogden Codman, Jr. (January 19, 1863 – January 8, 1951)
Codman was born to Ogden Codman, Sr. (of Boston and the Codman House) and the former Sarah Bradlee in Boston, Massachusetts. He spent his youth from 1875 to 1884 at Dinard, an American resort colony in France, and on returning to America in 1884, studied at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He was influenced in his career by two uncles, John Hubbard Sturgis (architect) and Richard Ogden (a decorator), and admired Italian and French architecture of the XVI, XVII, and XVIII centuries, as well as English Georgian architecture and the colonial architecture of Boston. While he died at Evry-Gregy-sur-Yerre in France, he is buried at Lincoln Cemetery (Lincoln, MA 01773).



Queer Places, Vol. 1 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532901904
ISBN-10: 1532901909
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228297
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532901909/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ1BU9K/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

Although Ogden Codman, Jr. had been born in Boston, he grew up in Paris and his love for all things French was deep-rooted.
Addresses:
Archer M. Huntington house, 1083 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10128, USA (40.78361, -73.95848)
Lucy D. Dahlgren house, 15 East 96th Street, New York, NY 10128, USA (40.7877, -73.95455)
Ogden Codman house, 7 East 96th Street, New York, NY 10128, USA (40.78782, -73.95489)
American Irish Historical Society, 991 Fifth Avenue, NY 10128, USA (40.7777, -73.96278)
Acquavella Galleries, 18 East 79th Street, NY 10128, USA (40.77623, -73.96266)
Place
- Archer M. Huntington house, 1083 Fifth Avenue: Archer Milton Huntington (1870-1955) was the son of Arabella (née Duval) Huntington and the stepson of railroad magnate and industrialist Collis P. Huntington. A lifelong friend of the arts, he is known for his scholarly works in the field of Hispanic Studies and for founding The Hispanic Society of America in New York City. While Huntington was busy establishing and donating museums he also set to work remodeling his home. The decorator Ogden Codman, Jr. was extremely popular among the moneyed set and Huntington commissioned him to renovate No. 1083. In 1913 he began transforming the façade into a limestone-clad XVIII century French townhouse. A four-story bowed front with a rusticated base culminated in a deep balcony behind a stone balustrade at the fifth floor. A stately mansard roof with copper trim composed the sixth floor. Tall French doors above the entrance were finished with a segmental arched pediment. Codman made use of Huntington’s vacant plot behind the property to enlarge the house with an addition creating an L-shape that extended to East 89th Street. The second floor was dedicated solely to entertaining. The Huntingtons’ living quarters were on the third floor and the top two floors were outfitted as servants’ rooms – enough to accommodate 25 servants. The outward appearance of Archer Milton Huntington’s stately mansion is essentially unchanged since Ogden Codman, Jr. revamped it in 1914. While the three other homes purchased by Huntington in 1902 have been demolished and replaced with a sterile white brick apartment building, No. 1083 elegantly survives. Currently the National Academy Museum and School, notable queer alumni and faculty: Thomas Eakins (1844-1916), Jasper Johns (born 1930), Robert Rauschenberg (1925-2008), John Singer Sargent (1856-1925), Cy Twombly (1928-2011).
- Lucy Drexel Dahlgren house, 15 East 96th Street: The Lucy Drexel Dahlgren House is a historic home located at 15 East 96th Street between Fifth and Madison Avenues on the border between the Carnegie Hill and East Harlem neighborhoods of the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City. It was built in 1915-16, and was designed by Ogden Codman, Jr. in the French Renaissance Revival stye for Lucy Wharton Drexel Dahlgren, a daughter of financier Joseph William Drexel (1833-1888) and Lucy Wharton (1841-1912.) She was the sister of Elizabeth Wharton Drexel (1868-1944.) The limestone house is a companion to Codman’s own residence down the street at 7 East 96th Street, which he designed for himself and had built in 1912-13. The AIA Guide to New York City describes the Dahlgren house as "magisterial" and "disciplined." It features "gentle restications and bas-reliefs." The extremely wealthy and socially prominent Dahlgren spent little time in the house. It was later occupied for many years by Pierre Cartier, the founder of the Cartier’s jewelry store. Apparently, Dahlgren rented the house to Cartier from 1922 on, until she sold it to him in 1927. In 1945, on his retirement, Cartier sold the house to the Roman Catholic Church of St. Francis de Sales, which used it as a convent for the nuns who taught at the church’s parochial school. In 1981 the church sold the house to a private owner, who restored it. It is located within the Upper East Side Historic District.
- Ogden Codman house, 7 East 96th Street: In 1907 Codman purchased the lot at 7 East 96th Street, still several blocks north of the area where the main thrust of mansion building was going on. While they were still contemplating their new home, Codman’s wife of only six years died in 1910. Now alone, Codman set about designing the elegant residence his wife would never share. Completed in 1913, it was a slice of Paris set down on 96th Street. The New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission later described the facade of number 7 as being "full of gaiety and frivolous vitality" and further, "on approaching the house, Paris and the Champs-Élysées immediately come to mind." Ogden Codman lived in his grand home with six servants and his chauffeur until 1920 when he left for his beloved Paris. In December of that year he negotiated a lease by cable to rent the house furnished to George Edward Kent. Kent paid an annual rent of $25,000. The Manhattan Country School purchased the house in 1965. In 2000 a restoration of the façade, including slate roof and copper dormer replacement, and masonry cleaning was completed. The interiors remain almost perfectly intact. The little slice of Paris created by Ogden Codman, Jr. looks much today as it did when he moved in nearly a century ago.
- American Irish Historical Society, 991 Fifth Avenue: Completed in 1901, the lavish Beaux-Arts mansion on Fifth Avenue was a showplace. With a rusticated limestone base, the first three floors bowed out creating a stone-balustraded balcony at the fourth floor. The architects James R. Turner and William. G. Killian chose ruddy-colored brick with carved limestone detailing for the middle three floors, capping it with a dramatic mansard roof with three elegant copper-clad dormers. Here Mary A. King, unmarried daughter of John A. King, lived with her five Irish servants for only a few years until her death. Banker David Crawford Clark purchased the home on April 16, 1906. A member of the firm Clark, Dodge & Co., Clark and his wife were socially prominent and in 1911 commissioned Ogden Codman, Jr., to redesign the interiors. In 1939 the American Irish Historical Society purchased the residence for $145,000 and moved in a year later after renovations were completed. By 2006, the house was what the president-general of the Society, Dr. Kevin Cahill, called “in a state of utter disrepair.” The basement regularly flooded, the electrical and plumbing systems were outdated and the masonry required overall restoration. An aggressive, two-year restoration and renovation was initiated under the direction of Joseph Pell Lombardi. In some cases, the walls were taken down to the studs and lath before the building could be brought into the XX Century and returned to its original grandeur. Original drawings by Odgen Codman Jr., maintained in the New York City Department of Buildings, were consulted to ensure accuracy. The $5 million restoration was completed in March 2008. Today the rich Beaux-Arts mansion with its equally-rich society history sits solidly in the XXI Century while losing none if its century-old architectural integrity.
- J. Woodward Haven House now Acquavella Galleries, 18 East 79th Street: Acquavella Galleries is an art gallery in the Upper East Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. Since 1967, the gallery has occupied an elegant five-story French neo-classical townhouse at 18 East 79th, once the New York outpost of London art firm founded by Joseph Duveen. Today, a range of XX century art is represented, including Pop Art and Abstract Expressionism.
Life
Who: Ogden Codman, Jr. (January 19, 1863 – January 8, 1951)
Ogden Codman, Jr.’s New York clients included John D. Rockefeller, Jr., for whom he designed the interiors of the famous Rockefeller family mansion of Kykuit in 1913, and Frederick William Vanderbilt, for whom he designed the interiors for his mansion in Hyde Park, New York, and his house on Fifth Avenue. He also collaborated with Edith Wharton on the redesign of her townhouse at 882-884 Park Avenue as well as on the design of The Mount, her house in Lenox, Massachusetts. His suave and idiomatic suite of Régence and Georgian parade rooms for entertaining are preserved in the townhouse at 991 Fifth Avenue, now occupied by the American Irish Historical Society. His French townhouse in the manner of Gabriel at 18 East 79th Street, for J. Woodward Haven (1908–09) is now occupied by Acquavella Galleries. All told, Codman designed 22 houses to completion, as well as the East Wing of the Metropolitan Club in New York. He also began the trend of lowering the townhouse entrance door from elevated stairways to the basement level. He designed a series of three houses in Louis XIV style at 7 (his own residence), 12, and 15 East 96th Street from 1912 to 1916.



Queer Places, Vol. 1 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532901904
ISBN-10: 1532901909
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228297
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532901909/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ1BU9K/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

The Château de Grègy is a château in Évry-Grégy-sur-Yerre, Seine-et-Marne, France.
Address: 7 Allée du Château, 77166 Évry-Grégy-sur-Yerre, France (48.65295, 2.63185)
Type: Administrative Building (open to public)
Hours: Monday through Saturday 9.00-11.45, Monday and Friday 13.30-17.30
Phone:+33 1 64 05 28 16
Place
Built in 1620
The first château was built by Antoine de Brennes and only two towers remain. Antoine de Clairambault rebuilt the central portion at the beginning of the XIX century, and added wings connecting the tower of a former church to the main building. American decorator and architect Ogden Codman, Jr. owned the château in the XX century, adding its entry pavilions. The chateau is situated along the Yerres River, and is reached via the Pont Saint-Pierre (XVII century.)
Life
Who: Ogden Codman, Jr. (January 19, 1863 – January 8, 1951)
In 1920, Ogden Codman, Jr. left New York to return to France, where he spent the last thirty-one years of his life at the Château de Grégy, wintering at Villa Leopolda in Villefranche-sur-Mer. Codman died at age 87 in 1951. His architectural drawings and papers are collected at the Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University; the Codman Family papers are also held by Historic New England and the Boston Athenaeum.



Queer Places, Vol. 3 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532906695
ISBN-10: 1532906692
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228901
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532906692/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZXI10E/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

The Villa La Leopolda is a large detached villa in Villefranche-sur-Mer, in the Alpes-Maritimes department on the French Riviera. The villa is situated in 18 acres of grounds.
Address: Villefranche-sur-Mer, France (43.70397, 7.3111)
Type: Private Property
Place
Built from 1929 to 1931, Design by Ogden Codman, Jr. (1863-1951)
Villa La Leopolda in its current incarnation was built on an estate once owned by King Leopold II of Belgium. The villa has had several notable owners including Gianni and Marella Agnelli, Izaak and Dorothy J. Killam, and since 1987 by Edmond (1932–1999) and Lily Safra, who inherited the villa after her husband’s death. King Leopold II of Belgium had made the previous estate a present for his mistress Blanche Zélia Joséphine Delacroix, also known as Caroline Lacroix, and it derives its name from him. After Leopold’s death, Blanche Delacroix was evicted, and his nephew, King Albert I, became its owner. During WWI it was used as a military hospital. In 1919, Thérèse Vitali, comtesse de Beauchamp, acquired the property and commissioned modifications. The American architect Ogden Codman, Jr. purchased the dozen existing structures that made up the property including two peasant cottages, and began his architectural magnum opus in 1929. It was complete by 1931, however financial difficulties (and his lavish expenditures) precluded his being able to live in it, so he rented it out to various well-heeled tenants. One famous English couple tried to lease it, but insisted on making changes that were contrary to Codman’s aesthetic objectives and strict list of protective clauses. Negotiations in a Paris Hotel room broke down over the many restrictions Codman imposed, and Ogden’s response was: "I regret that the House of Codman is unable to do business with the House of Windsor." Codman’s extensive designs and construction gave the estate, once a series of unrelated buildings, its current appearance. His neo-Palladian vision, coupled with his in-depth knowledge of historical precedent, resulted in the construction of a spectacular villa with extensive gardens and landscaping. Floor plans, letters, records, and stereo glass-plate views of the newly completed property still exist in the collections of the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities (aka "Historic New England.”)
Life
Who: Ogden Codman, Jr. (January 19, 1863 – January 8, 1951)
In 1920, Ogden Codman, Jr. left New York to return to France, where he spent the last thirty-one years of his life at the Château de Grégy, wintering at Villa Leopolda in Villefranche-sur-Mer, which he created by assembling a number of vernacular structures and their sites: it is his masterpiece, the fullest surviving expression of his esthetic.



Queer Places, Vol. 3 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532906695
ISBN-10: 1532906692
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228901
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532906692/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZXI10E/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
reviews_and_ramblings: (Default)
Patricia Highsmith was an American novelist and short story writer, known for her psychological thrillers, which led to more than two dozen film adaptations.
Born: January 19, 1921, Fort Worth, Texas, United States
Died: February 4, 1995, Locarno, Switzerland
Education: Barnard College
Columbia University
Lived: 48 Grove Street
345 E. 57th Street
Casa Highsmith, Tegna
Buried: Cimitero di Tegna, Tegna, Distretto di Locarno, Ticino, Switzerland
Movies: Carol, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Purple Noon, more
Parents: Jay Bernard Plangman, Stanley Highsmith, Mary Coates Plangman

Patricia Highsmith wrote 22 novels, many of them set in Greenwich Village, where she lived at 48 Grove Street from 1940 to 1942, before moving at 345 E. 57th Street.



Queer Places, Vol. 1 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532901904
ISBN-10: 1532901909
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228297
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532901909/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ1BU9K/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

Tegna, in Switzerland’s Italian-speaking canton Ticino, is the village where Patricia Highsmith lived out the last years of her life, in the Vallemaggia, a narrow, rocky valley behind Locarno. Her ashes are immured in the cemetery and her famously bunker-like house is down the road.
Address: Tegna, Switzerland (46.1867, 8.74433)
Type: Private Property
Place
In 1988, Patricia Highsmith built the house she died in, with the help of Zurich-based architect Tobias Ammann. “Casa Highsmith,” a modernist flat-roofed single storey “M” shaped construction in the small village of Tegna in the Ticino, Switzerland, “bore a curious resemblance,” according to the Swiss National Library in Bern, “to the “long, low and flat-roofed” and “shining white” and Y-shaped house she imagined thirty years earlier for the architect Guy Haines [the hapless and fateful victim] in “Strangers on the Train” (before a second floor was added by new owners after her death).” She ended up curating herself in the shape of her own architecture; the fiction that, in hindsight, predicted her own house. Her final “dream home” had all along been “half felt and feebly” lodged within her own strange enactments designed to be so implausible as to contain the implicit sense of fate and inevitability within any choice.
Life
Who: Patricia Highsmith (January 19, 1921 – February 4, 1995)
Patricia Highsmith was an American novelist and short story writer, known for her psychological thrillers, which led to more than two dozen film adaptations. Her first novel, “Strangers on a Train,” has been adapted for stage and screen numerous times, notably by Alfred Hitchcock in 1951. Highsmith wrote 22 novels, including her series of five novels with Tom Ripley as protagonist, and many short stories. Michael Dirda observed, "Europeans honored her as a psychological novelist, part of an existentialist tradition represented by her own favorite writers, in particular Dostoyevsky, Conrad, Kafka, Gide, and Camus." Highsmith loved cats, and she bred about three hundred snails in her garden at home in Suffolk, England. Between 1959 and 1961, she fell in love with Marijane Meaker, who wrote under the pseudonyms "Vin Packer" and "Ann Aldrich" and later wrote young adult fiction as "M.E. Kerr". In the late 1980s, after 27 years of separation, Highsmith began corresponding with Meaker again, and one day showed up on Meaker's doorstep, slightly drunk and ranting bitterly. Meaker later said she was horrified at how Highsmith's personality had changed. Highsmith, aged 74, died from a combination of aplastic anemia and lung cancer at Carita hospital in Locarno, Switzerland, near the village where she had lived since 1982. She was cremated at the cemetery in Bellinzona, a memorial service was conducted in the Catholic Church in Tegna and her ashes interred in its columbarium. She left her estate, worth an estimated $3 million, and the promise of any future royalties to the Yaddo colony, where she spent two months in 1948 writing the draft of “Strangers on a Train.” Patricia Highsmith bequeathed her literary estate to the Swiss Literary Archives at the Swiss National Library in Bern, Switzerland.



Queer Places, Vol. 3 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532906695
ISBN-10: 1532906692
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228901
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532906692/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZXI10E/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

Profile

reviews_and_ramblings: (Default)
reviews_and_ramblings

March 2017

S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
567891011
12131415161718
1920 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 293031 

Most Popular Tags

Disclaimer

All cover art, photo and graphic design contained in this site are copyrighted by the respective publishers and authors. These pages are for entertainment purposes only and no copyright infringement is intended. Should anyone object to our use of these items please contact by email the blog's owner.
This is an amateur blog, where I discuss my reading, what I like and sometimes my personal life. I do not endorse anyone or charge fees of any kind for the books I review. I do not accept money as a result of this blog.
I'm associated with Amazon/USA Affiliates Programs.
Books reviewed on this site were usually provided at no cost by the publisher or author. However, some books were purchased by the reviewer and not provided for free. For information on how a particular title was obtained, please contact by email the blog's owner.
Days of Love Gallery - Copyright Legenda: http://www.elisarolle.com/gallery/index_legenda.html

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Mar. 29th, 2017 08:55 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios