Mar. 4th, 2017

reviews_and_ramblings: (Default)
Lived: Shibden Hall, Lister’s Rd, Halifax, West Yorkshire HX3, UK (53.72826, -1.83997)
Crow Nest & Cliffe Hill, Lightcliffe, Halifax, West Yorkshire HX3, UK (53.7254, -1.79181)
Buried: St Matthew's, Wakefield Road, Lightcliffe, West Yorkshire, HX3 8TH
Find A Grave Memorial# 161199401

Anne Lister was a well off Yorkshire landowner, diarist, mountaineer and traveler. Throughout her life, she kept diaries, which chronicled the details of her daily life, including her lesbian relationships, her financial concerns, her industrial activities and her work improving Shibden Hall, near Halifax in the West Riding of Yorkshire, which she had inherited from her uncle, James Lister. Called "Fred" by her lovers and "Gentleman Jack" by Halifax residents, she suffered from harassment for her sexuality, and recognized her similarity to the Ladies of Llangollen, whom she visited. Lister had an affair with a wealthy heiress, Ann Walker, whom she met in September 1832; her eventual marriage (which of course was denied legal recognition) to Walker in 1834 was highly unusual. In 1830, while travelling in France, Lister was the first woman to ascend Mont Perdu in the Pyrenees. Lister died aged 49 of a fever at Koutais (now Kutaisi, Georgia) while travelling with Walker. In the paper obituary Walker is described as Anne Lister’s friend and companion. Walker, to whom ownership
of Shibden Hall passed, had Lister buried in the parish church in Halifax, West Yorkshire. Walker died in 1854 at her home, Cliff Hill in Lightcliffe, after spending some years in an asylum in York. Lister is often called "the first modern lesbian" for her clear self-knowledge and openly lesbian lifestyle.

Together from 1832 to 1840: 8 years.
Ann Walker (May 28, 1803 – March 4, 1854)
Anne Lister (April 3, 1791 - September 22, 1840)


Elizabeth Walker, Ann Walker's sister

Days of Love edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1500563325
ISBN-10: 1500563323
Release Date: September 21, 2014
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/4910282
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1500563323/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MZG0VHY/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

House: Ann Walker moved to Crow Nest when she was six years old. Her grandparents had rebuilt the house, to designs of Thomas Bradley, in 1788. It was a virtual copy of Pye Nest in Halifax, designed by the celebrated York architect John Carr. Her grandparents had also rebuilt nearby Cliffe Hill in 1780.

Address: Crow Nest, Coach Road, Hove Edge, Brighouse HD6 2LN, UK (53.7254, -1.79181)
Address: Cliffe Hill, 146 Wakefield Rd, Lightcliffe, Halifax HX3 8TH, UK (53.7254, -1.79181)

Place
Crow Nest, Lightcliffe was originally a farm. A building is recorded here in 1592 when it was occupied by the Booth family. The building fell into decay after WWI, and was demolished in the mid-1950s. The gatehouse at 82 Wakefield Road is now a private house and is listed. The mid-XIX century single span segmental arched bridge which still stands on the Coach Road is listed. Subsequent owners and tenants have included: John Cowper (1627), Rev William Ainsworth (1632-1649), Rev Alexander Bate, the Mitchell family, James Mitchell, John Mitchell, the Walker family (from 1682), Abraham Walker (1692), William Walker, William Walker, John Walker, Ann Walker. A new house – almost a replica of Pye Nest House – was built for William Walker, and designed by Thomas Bradley. For extensions in 1775, designed by John Carr, William Walker brought timber from the Baltic coast of Russia, then to Hull and finally by canal to Brighouse. The estate occupied 700 acres. It is recorded that the rooms were 16 ft in height. Sir Titus Salt was tenant from 1848 to 1854, but he had to leave when Evan Charles Sutherland-Walker wanted to live there himself. In the 1860s, Sutherland-Walker further extended the mansion with the construction of the entrance and the gatehouse. When he lived at the house, Sutherland-Walker had his own gas works which supplied Crow Nest and Cliffe Hill. In 1867, when Sutherland-Walker fell on hard times, the estate, comprising 2 mansion houses – Crow Nest and Cliffe Hill – other property including the Sun Inn, Lightcliffe and the Travellers’ Rest, Hipperholme and almost 700 acres of land, was sold at auction at the New Assembly Rooms. Crow Nest was sold to Sir Titus Salt for £26,000. Salt built the lake in the grounds, and added his arms to the gatehouse depicting rams and llamas. After Salt’s death in 1876, the house was bought by Richard Kershaw for £34,000 Richard Kershaw discovered the beds of stone which lay beneath the land, and carried out quarrying on the land around the mansion. When Kershaw died in 1917, the house was sold to Joseph Brooke. Sulphur emissions and picric acid from Brooke’s nearby chemical works had contaminated the stream through the grounds of Crow Nest – thereby bringing down the price of the property when Brooke was buying the property – and Kershaw’s solicitors sued the company for compensation, but lost their claim. The company exploited the grounds and the house for stone. During WWI, it was used to billet soldiers from Dunkirk. They damaged the house, and a lorry-driver collided with Titus Salt’s gateway, damaging the pillars and breaking a decorative urn. Cliffe Hill Mansion, Lightcliffe, was built on the site of an earlier house dated 1350. In 1947, it was divided into apartments. Owners and tenants have included: the Cliffe family, the Overall family (XVI century), Henry Hargreaves (1657.) Around 1760, the house was bought by the Walker family – who already owned Crow Nest Mansion. It was rebuilt in 1775, when William Walker brought timber from the Baltic coast of Russia. Ann Walker lived here. It passed to Evan Charles Sutherland-Walker. In 1862, John Foster was a tenant. Also listed at the house are: Abraham Briggs Foster, John Foster, Jonas Foster (1867), Sir William Henry Aykroyd (1880, 1901.) The crest of John Foster is displayed over the entrance: “Justum Perficito Nihil Timeto” (Act justly and fear nothing.) In 1867, Sutherland-Walker sold the house to Major Johnston Jonas Foster. It was later leased to Sir William Aykroyd. In the end David Hepworth bought the house.

Life
Who: Ann Walker (May 28, 1803 – March 4, 1854)
Ann’s father had inherited Crow Nest following the death of his elder brother, who died without issue. She in turn inherited the estate, as the oldest surviving child, following her father’s death. Her four siblings had all died either in infancy or before the age of 43. Ann, who was a shy lady, prone to melancholy illness and a deep lack of confidence, also owned a home at Lydgate. It was here that her friendship with Anne Lister (1791–1840) of Shibden Hall developed. Anne Lister became a regular visitor and Ann began to see her as a companion with the promise of hope, love and fortune. Their friendship, as we know from Anne Lister’s diaries, developed rapidly although Ann Walker, who possessed a strong sense of Christian duty, was often wracked with religious guilt. They eventually agreed that they would live together at Shibden Hall but clearly masked the full extent of their friendship. They travelled widely in Europe and beyond and continued to maintain both their estates. They were in Russia when Anne Lister died and Ann Walker brought the body back for burial in Halifax Parish Church. She had been left a “life interest” in Shibden Hall by her friend. However, Ann’s health and mental state declined as she struggled to maintain the two estates. Matters came to a head when she was forcibly removed from her locked room at the hall by her family and the local constable and consigned to an asylum in York. She returned to Cliffe Hill shortly before her death in 1854. Her nephew Evan Charles Sutherland Walker inherited the estate. Ann Walker is buried at St Matthew's (Wakefield Road, Lightcliffe, West Yorkshire, HX3 8TH).



Queer Places, Vol. 2 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532906312
ISBN-10: 1532906315
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228833
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532906315/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ1KZBO/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

House: Timber-framed manor with period rooms, restored gardens, a mini-railway, a boating lake and woods.

Address: Shibden Hall Road, Halifax, Calderdale HX3 9XY, UK (53.72826, -1.83997)
Hours: Monday through Thursday 10.00-17.00, Saturday-Sunday 11.00-17.00
Phone: +44 844 686 1177
Website: http://museums.calderdale.gov.uk/visit/shibden-hall
English Heritage Building ID: 437379 (Grade II, 1954)

Place
Remodeled in 1830, Design by John Harper (1809-1842), Landscape Desgin by Samuel Gray
For three hundred years (c. 1615-1926) the Shibden estate was in the hands of the Lister family, wealthy mill-owners and cloth merchants, the most famous resident being Anne Lister, who became sole owner of the hall after the death of her aunt. The hall dates back to around 1420, when it was recorded as being inhabited by one William Otes. Prior to 1619, the estate was owned by the Savile and Waterhouse families. The three families’ armorial symbols are recorded in a stone-mullioned 20-light window at the hall. The building has been extensively modified from its original design by generations of residents, although its Tudor half-timbered frontage remains its most recognisable feature. A gothic tower was added to the building for use as a library and the major features of the park created, including terraced gardens, rock gardens, cascades and a boating lake. A Paisley Shawl garden designed for the terrace by Joshua Major was added in the 1850s. The estate became a public park in 1926 and the hall a museum in 1934. The park and gardens were restored between 2007 and 2008 with almost £3.9 million from the Heritage Lottery Fund and £1.2 million from Calderdale Council. The hall is currently open to the public, the West Yorkshire Folk Museum being housed in an adjoining barn and farm buildings. The hall has a variety of restored workshops, including a brewery, a basket-weaving shop, a tannery, a stable and an extensive collection of horse-drawn carriages. The park also contains a dry stone walling exhibition, children’s play area and miniature steam railway.

Life
Who: Anne Lister (April 3, 1791 - September 22, 1840) and Ann Walker (May 28, 1803 – March 4, 1854)
On September 22, 1840, Anne Lister (1791-1840) died of a fever in Koutais (now Kutaisi, Georgia). It took five weeks for news of Anne's death in Georgia to reach Halifax; it was announced in the Halifax Guardian on 31st October. The announcement includes these words: "We are informed that the remains of this distinguished lady have been embalmed and that her friend and companion, Miss Walker, is bringing them home by way of Constantinople, for interment in the family vault." She is buried at St John the Baptist (Coley Rd, Hipperholme, Halifax HX3 7SA). During the Millennium restoration of the Parish Church (as it then was) Anne's broken, incomplete tombstone was rediscovered under wooden flooring in the north east corner of the church, having been lost since 1878/9. The estate passed to her lesbian lover, Ann Walker, whom she had met in September 1832, who died in 1854 at her home, Cliff Hill in Lightcliffe. Possession then returned to the Lister family, who donated it to Halifax Corporation.



Queer Places, Vol. 2 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532906312
ISBN-10: 1532906315
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228833
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532906315/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ1KZBO/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
reviews_and_ramblings: (Default)
Howard "Howie" Greenfield was an American lyricist and songwriter, who for several years in the 1960s worked out of the famous Brill Building.
Born: March 15, 1936, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
Died: March 4, 1986, Los Angeles, California, United States
Education: Abraham Lincoln High School
Buried: Forest Lawn Memorial Park (Hollywood Hills), Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California, USA, Plot: Courts of Remembrance, wall crypt #3515, GPS (lat/lon): 34.1495, -118.32058
Buried alongside: Tory Damon
Find A Grave Memorial# 6087
Genres: Jazz, Big band
Nominations: Grammy Award for Song of the Year

Howard Greenfield was an American lyricist and songwriter, who for several years in the 1960s worked out of the famous Brill Building. He is best known for his series of successful songwriting collaborations, including one with Neil Sedaka from the late 1950s to the mid-1970s and a near-simultaneous (and equally successful) songwriting partnership with Jack Keller throughout most of the 1960s. Greenfield was openly gay, even though during the era in which he lived it was unusual to be open about this; however, not entirely uncommon amongst people in the entertainment industry who worked outside the public eye. His companion from the early 1960s to his death was cabaret singer Tory Damon; the two lived together in an apartment on East 63rd Street in Manhattan before moving to California in 1966. Greenfield died, aged 49, in 1986 from complications due to AIDS. He was interred at Forest Lawn Memorial Park. Tory Damon died just 26 days after Greenfield and is interred in the wall crypt to his right. Damon's epitaph reads: Love Will Keep Us Together..., Greenfield's continues: ... Forever.

Together from 1960 to 1986: 26 years.
Howard Greenfield (March 15, 1936 – March 4, 1986)
Tory Damon (September 29, 1939 - March 30, 1986)



Days of Love edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1500563325
ISBN-10: 1500563323
Release Date: September 21, 2014
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/4910282
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1500563323/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MZG0VHY/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

Forest Lawn Memorial-Parks & Mortuaries is a corporation that owns and operates a chain of cemeteries and mortuaries in Los Angeles, Orange, and Riverside counties in Southern California
.
Addresses:
Forest Lawn Cemetery (Hollywood Hills), 6300 Forest Lawn Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90068, USA (34.14688, -118.32208)
Forest Lawn Cemetery (Glendale), 1712 S Glendale Ave, Glendale, CA 91205, USA (34.12524, -118.24371)
Forest Lawn Cemetery (Cathedral City), 69855 Ramon Rd, Cathedral City, CA 92234, USA (33.81563, -116.4419)

Place
The company was founded by a group of San Francisco businessmen in 1906. Dr. Hubert Eaton assumed management control in 1917 and is credited with being Forest Lawn’s "founder" because of his origination of the "memorial-park" plan. The first location was in Tropico which later became part of Glendale, California. Its facilities are officially known as memorial parks. The parks are best known for the large number of celebrity burials, especially in the Glendale and Hollywood Hills locations. Eaton opened the first mortuary (funeral home) on dedicated cemetery grounds after a long battle with established funeral directors who saw the "combination" operation as a threat. He remained as general manager until his death in 1966 when he was succeeded by his nephew, Frederick Llewellyn.

Notable queer burials at Forest Lawn Memorial Parks:
• Lucile Council (1898-1964) (Glendale, Section: Section G, Map #: 01, Lot: 5, Space: 9, Property: Ground) and Florence Yoch (1890–1972) were influential California landscape designers, practicing in the first half of the XX century in Southern California.

• George Cukor (1899-1983) (Glendale, Section: Garden of Honor Map #: G28, Lot: 0, Space: 69, Property: Distinguished Memorial), American film director. He mainly concentrated on comedies and literary adaptations.
• Brad Davis (1949-1991) (Hollywood Hills, Section: Court of Remembrance/Columbarium of Valor, Map #: G64054, Lot: N.A., Space: N.A., Property: N.A.), American actor, known for starring in the 1978 film Midnight Express and 1982 film Querelle. Davis married Susan Bluestein, an Emmy Award-winning casting director. They had one child, Alex, a transgender man born as Alexandra. Davis acknowledged having had sex with men and being bisexual in an interview with Boze Hadleigh.
• Adolph de Meyer (1868-1946) (Glendale, Section: Utility Columbarium, Map #: 1, Lot: 0, Space: 4524, Property: Niche) died penniless in Los Angeles on January 6, 1949, and was buried under the name “Gayne Adolphus Demeyer”.
• Helen Ferguson (1901-1977) (Glendale, Section: Ascension, Map #: L-7296, Lot: N.A., Space:1, Property: N.A.), for nearly thirty years, former actress and publicist, had an intimate relationship with Barbara Stanwyck. In 1933, Ferguson left acting to focus on publicity work, a job she became very successful in and which made her a major power in Hollywood; she was representing such big name stars as Henry Fonda, Barbara Stanwyck, Loretta Young and Robert Taylor, among others.
• Edmund Goulding (1891–1959) (Glendale, Section: Wee Kirk Churchyard, Map #: A01, Lot: 260, Space: 4, Property: Ground), British film writer and director. As an actor early in his career he was one of the Ghosts in the 1922 British made Paramount silent “Three Live Ghosts” alongside Norman Kerry and Cyril Chadwick. Also in the early 1920s he wrote several screenplays for star Mae Murray for films directed by her then husband Robert Z. Leonard. Goulding is best remembered for directing cultured dramas such as “Love” (1927), “Grand Hotel” (1932) with Greta Garbo and Joan Crawford, “Dark Victory” (1939) with Bette Davis, and “The Razor's Edge” (1946) with Gene Tierney and Tyrone Power. He also directed the classic film noir “Nightmare Alley” (1947) with Tyrone Power and Joan Blondell, and the action drama “The Dawn Patrol.” He was also a successful songwriter, composer, and producer.
• Howard Greenfield (1936-1986) (Hollywood Hills, Section: Courts of Remembrance Wall Crypts, Map #: E25, Lot: 0, Space: 3515, Property: Wall Crypt) and Tory Damon (1939-1986) (Hollywood Hills, Section: Courts of Remembrance Wall Crypts, Map #: E25, Lot: 0, Space: 3514, Property: Wall Crypt). Damon’s epitaph reads: Love Will Keep Us Together..., Greenfield’s continues: ... Forever.
• Francis Grierson aka Jesse Shepard (1849-1927) (Glendale, Section: Coleus Mezzanine Columbarium, Map #: 1, Lot: 0, Space: 1059, Property: Niche), composer and pianist.
• Edward Everett Horton (1886-1970) (Glendale, Section: Whispering Pines, Map #: 03, Lot: 994, Space: 3, Property: Ground Interment, at the top of the hill), American character actor, he had a long career in film, theater, radio, television, and voice work for animated cartoons.
• J. Warren Kerrigan (1879-1947) (Glendale, Section: Sanct. of Prophecy, Holly Terrace, Map #: 01, Lot: 0, Space: 10698, Property: Mausoleum Crypt) was an American silent film actor and film director. Kerrigan was homosexual. He never married, and lived with his lover James Vincent from about 1914 to Kerrigan's death in 1947.
• Charles Laughton (1899–1962) (Hollywood Hills, Section: Court of Remembrance, Map #: C-310, Lot: N.A., Space: N.A., Property: wall crypt), English stage and film character actor, director, producer and screenwriter.
• W. Dorr Legg (1904-1994) (Hollywood Hills, Section: Eternal Love, Map #: E09, Lot: 1561, Space: 3, Property: Ground), landscape architect and one of the founders of the U.S. gay rights movement, then called the homophile movement.
• David Lewis (1903-1987) (Glendale, Section: Col. of Memory, Memorial Terr, Map #: 1, Lot: 0, Space: 19748, Property: Niche) and James Whale (1889-1957) (Glendale, Section: Col. of Memory, Memorial Terr, Map #: 1, Lot: 0, Space: 20076, Property: Niche). When David Lewis died in 1987, his executor and Whale biographer, James Curtis, had his ashes interred in a niche across from Whale’s.
• Liberace (1919-1987) (Hollywood Hills, Section: Courts of Remembrance, Map #: A39, Lot: N.A., Space: N.A., Property: Distinguished Memorial, Sarcophagus 4), American pianist, singer, and actor. A child prodigy and the son of working-class immigrants, Liberace enjoyed a career spanning four decades of concerts, recordings, television, motion pictures, and endorsements.
• Paul Monette (1945-1995) (Hollywood Hills, Section: Revelation, Map #: G01, Lot: 3275, Space: 1, Property: Ground) and Roger Horwitz (1941-1986) (Hollywood Hills, Section: Revelation, Map #: G01, Lot: 3275, Space: 2, Property: Ground). Horwitz’s headstone reads: “My little friend, we sail together, if we sail at all.”
• Marion Morgan (1881-1971) (Glendale, Section: Florentine Col. - Dahlia Terr. GM, Map #: 1, Lot: 0, Space: 8446, Property: Niche), choreographer, longtime companion of motion picture director Dorothy Arzner.
• George Nader (1921-2002), Mark Miller, with friend Rock Hudson (1925-1985) (Cathedral City, Section: N.A., Map #: N.A., Lot: N.A., Space: N.A., Property: N.A.). Nader inherited the interest from Rock Hudson’s estate after Hudson’s death from AIDS complications in 1985. Nader lived in Hudson’s LA home until his own death. This is a memorial, George Nader’s ashes were actually scattered at sea.
• Alla Nazimova (1879-1945) (Glendale, Section: Whispering Pines, Map #: N.A., Lot: 1689, Space: N.A., Property: N.A.), actress.
• Orry-Kelly (1897-1964) (Hollywood Hills, Section: Columbarium of Remembrance & Radian, Map #: 1E2, Lot: 0, Space: 60282, Property: Niche), prominent Australian-American Hollywood costume designer. 3 times Oscar Winner. His partner was Milton Owen, a former stage manager, a relationship that was acknowledged also by Kelly's mother. When Orry-Kelly died, his pallbearers included Cary Grant, Tony Curtis, Billy Wilder and George Cukor and Jack Warner read his eulogy.
• Charles Pierce (1926–1999) (Hollywood Hills, Section: Columbarium of Providence, Map #: ELC0, Lot: 0, Space: 64953, Property: Niche), one of the XX century's foremost female impersonators, particularly noted for his impersonation of Bette Davis. He performed at many clubs in New York, including The Village Gate, Ted Hook's OnStage, The Ballroom, and Freddy's Supper Club. His numerous San Francisco venues included the Gilded Cage, Cabaret/After Dark, Gold Street, Bimbo's 365 Club, Olympus, The Plush Room, the Venetian Room at the Fairmont Hotel, Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall, and the War Memorial Opera House. He died in North Hollywood, California, aged 72, and was cremated. His memorial service at Forest Lawn Memorial Park was carefully planned and scripted by Pierce before his death.
• George Quaintance (1902-1957) (Glendale, Section: Eventide, Map #: 01, Lot: 2116, Space: 1, Property: Ground), American artist famous for his "idealized, strongly homoerotic" depictions of men in physique magazines. In 1938, he returned home with his companion Victor Garcia, described as Quaintance's "model, life partner, and business associate". In the early 1950s, Quaintance and Garcia moved to Rancho Siesta, which became the home of Studio Quaintance, a business venture based around Quaintance's artworks.
• Robert J. Sandoval (1950–2006) (Glendale, Section: Garden of Honor, Map #: G58, Lot: 7463, Space: 1, Property: Garden Crypt), judge of the Los Angeles County Superior Court. Sandoval and his long-time partner, Bill Martin, adopted a son in 1992, making them one of the first gay male couples in Los Angeles County to adopt a child. The couple named their son Harrison Martin-Sandoval, combining their last names to symbolize their familial unity. Sandoval died in 2006. He is survived by his partner of 24 years, Bill Martin, and his son, Harrison Martin-Sandoval. After his death, his alma mater McGeorge School of Law honored his contributions by placing him on the Wall of Honor.
• Emery Shaver (1903-1964) and Tom Lyle (1896-1976) (Glendale, Section: Col. of Memory, Memorial Terr, Map #: 1, Lot: 0, Space: 20047, Property: Niche). Tom Lyle was the founder of Maybelline.
• Ethel Waters (1896-1977) (Glendale, Section: Garden of Ascension, Map #: E48, Lot: 7152, Space: 4, Property: Ground), African-American blues, jazz and gospel vocalist and actress. In 1962. Ethel Waters had a lesbian relationship with dancer Ethel Williams that led to them being nicknamed “The Two Ethels.”
• Paul Winfield (1941–2004) (Hollywood Hills, Section: Court of Liberty, Map #: H18, Lot: 1475, Space: 2, Property: Garden Crypt) was an American television, film and stage actor. He was known for his portrayal of a Louisiana sharecropper who struggles to support his family during the Great Depression in the landmark film “Sounder,” which earned him an Academy Award nomination. He portrayed Martin Luther King, Jr. in the 1978 television miniseries “King,” for which he was nominated for an Emmy Award. Winfield was also known to science fiction fans for his roles in “The Terminator,” “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan,” and “Star Trek: The Next Generation.” Winfield was gay, but remained discreet about it in the public eye. His partner of 30 years, architect Charles Gillan, Jr., died on March 5, 2002, of bone cancer. Winfield died of a heart attack in 2004 at age 62, at Queen of Angels – Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center in Los Angeles. Winfield and Gillan are interred together.




Queer Places, Vol. 1 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532901904
ISBN-10: 1532901909
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228297
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532901909/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon (kindle): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ1BU9K/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
reviews_and_ramblings: (Default)
Buried: Westminster Abbey, Westminster, London, SW1P 3PA
Buried alongside: Catherine Jones
Find A Grave Memorial# 161223231

Church: In the chapel of St John the Baptist in Westminster Abbey there is the tomb of Mary Kendall (died March 13, 1709/1710) dating from 1710 with an inscription recording: "That close Union and Friendship, In which she lived, with the Lady Catharine Jones (died April 23, 1740); And in testimony of which she desir’d That even their Ashes, after Death, Might not be divided.”

Address: 20 Dean’s Yard, Westminster, London SW1P 3PA, UK (51.49929, -0.1273)
Hours: Monday and Tuesday 9.30-15.30, Wednesday 9.30-18.00, Thursday and Friday 9.30-15.30, Saturday 9.30-13.30
Phone: +44 20 7222 5152
Website: http://www.westminster-abbey.org/

Place
Westminster Abbey, formally titled the Collegiate Church of St Peter at Westminster, is a large, mainly Gothic abbey church in the City of Westminster, London, located just to the west of the Palace of Westminster. It is one of the most notable religious buildings in the United Kingdom and has been the traditional place of coronation and burial site for English and, later, British monarchs. Between 1540 and 1556 the abbey had the status of a cathedral. Since 1560, however, the building is no longer an abbey nor a cathedral, having instead the status of a Church of England "Royal Peculiar"—a church responsible directly to the sovereign. The building itself is the original abbey church. According to a tradition first reported by Sulcard in about 1080, a church was founded at the site (then known as Thorn Ey (Thorn Island)) in the VII century, at the time of Mellitus, a Bishop of London. Construction of the present church began in 1245, on the orders of King Henry III. Since 1066, when Harold Godwinson and William the Conqueror were crowned, the coronations of English and British monarchs have been held there. There have been at least 16 royal weddings at the abbey since 1100. Two were of reigning monarchs (Henry I and Richard II), although, before 1919, there had been none for some 500 years.

Notable queer burials at Westminster Abbey:
• Anne, Queen of Great Britain (1665-1714). Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough, became close to the young Princess Anne in about 1675, and the friendship grew stronger as the two grew older. Correspondence between the Duchess and the Queen reveals that the two women enjoyed a royally passionate romance. They called each other pet names: Sarah was “Mrs. Freeman” and Anne was “Mrs. Morley.” When Anne came to the throne in 1702, she named Sarah “Lady of the Bedchamber.” Anne and Sarah were virtually inseparable; no king’s mistress had ever wielded the power granted to the Duchess. Over time, Sarah became overconfident in her position and developed an arrogant attitude toward Anne, even going to far as to insult the queen in public. A cousin of Sarah’s, Abigail Hill, caught the Queen’s eye during Sarah’s frequent absences from Court, and eventually replaced her in Anne’s affections. After her final break with Anne in 1711, Sarah and her husband were dismissed from the court. Sarah enjoyed a "long and devoted" relationship with her husband of more than 40 years, John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough. The money she inherited from the Marlborough trust left her one of the richest women in Europe.
• Sir Frederick Ashton (1904–1988), ballet dancer and choreographer, Memorial in Poet’s Corner (buried St Mary the Virgin Churchyard, Yaxley)
• W. H. Auden (1907-1973), poet and essayist. A memorial stone was unveiled in Poets' Corner Westminster Abbey in 1974, adjoining the grave of John Masefield. Another memorial is at Christ College Cathedral, Oxford, where he graduated (buried Kirchstetten, Austria) (Location in the Abbey: South Transept; Poets' Corner).
• Robert Baden-Powell (1857–1941) was a British Army officer, writer, author of Scouting for Boys which was an inspiration for the Scout Movement, founder and first Chief Scout of The Boy Scouts Association and founder of the Girl Guides. In the south aisle of the nave of Westminster Abbey, against the screen of St George’s chapel, there is a memorial stone to Lord and Lady Baden-Powell, by W.Soukop. Both are buried in Kenya and each had a memorial service held at the Abbey (Location in the Abbey: Nave).
• Stanley Baldwin (1867-1947), Prime Minister, memorial. A memorial to Stanley Baldwin, 1st Earl Baldwin of Bewdley, was unveiled in the nave of Westminster Abbey in 1997. Designed by Donald Buttress and cut by I.Rees (Location in the Abbey: Nave).
• Francis Beaumont (1584–1616) was a dramatist in the English Renaissance theatre, most famous for his collaborations with John Fletcher (1579–1625.) According to a mid-century anecdote related by John Aubrey, they lived in the same house on the Bankside in Southwark, "sharing everything in the closest intimacy." About 1613 Beaumont married Ursula Isley, daughter and co-heiress of Henry Isley of Sundridge in Kent, by whom he had two daughters, one posthumous. Francis Beaumont and his brother Sir John Beaumont are both buried in Poets' Corner in Westminster Abbey, at the entrance to St Benedict's chapel near Chaucer's monument. Fletcher died in 1625 and is buried inside the Southwark Cathedral, London Bridge, London SE1 9DA. On 1November 6, 1996 the cathedral became a focus of controversy when it hosted a twentieth-anniversary service for the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement. In 1997 openly gay cleric, Jeffrey John became Canon Chancellor and Theologian of the Cathedral (Location in the Abbey: South Transept; Poets' Corner).
• Aphra Behn (1640-1689) was a British playwright, poet, translator and fiction writer from the Restoration era. Behn’s close association with royalty, especially her friendship with the King’s mistress, Nell Gwyn, and her long-standing liaison with John Hoyle (died 1692), whose affairs with other men were notorious, made Behn a prime subject for court and theater gossip. Just as Behn was notorious for presenting sensational subjects on stage despite societal taboos, she achieved a reputation for unusually explicit accounts of erotic and sexual episodes in her poems. Many of these celebrated gay male and lesbian relationships. She was buried in the east cloister of Westminster Abbey, near the steps up into the church. The inscription on her tombstone, written by John Hoyle, reads: "Here lies a Proof that Wit can never be Defence enough against Mortality." John Hoyle was stabbed to death on May 1692 and is buried in the vault of the Inner Temple church, Temple, London EC4Y 7BB) (Location in the Abbey: Cloisters; East Cloister).
• William Bentinck, 1st Earl of Portland (1649–1709) and King William III of England (1650-1702), are buried next to Queen Mary II. King William III is buried in great simplicity in the South Aisle of the Chapel of Henry VI, and his companion William Bentinck is buried in a vault nearby. Several members of the Bentinck family are buried in the Ormond vault at the eastern end of Henry VII's chapel in Westminster Abbey. None have monuments but their names and dates of death were added to the vaultstone in the late XIX century (Location in the Abbey: Lady Chapel).
• Rupert Brooke (1887-1915) died at 4:46 pm on April 23, 1915 in a French hospital ship moored in a bay off the island of Skyros in the Aegean on his way to the landing at Gallipoli. As the expeditionary force had orders to depart immediately, he was buried at 11 pm in an olive grove on Skyros, Greece. His grave remains there today. On 11 November 1985, Brooke was among 16 WWI poets commemorated on a slate monument unveiled in Poets’ Corner in Westminster Abbey.
• Benjamin Britten (1913-1976), musician and composer. In the north choir (or Musicians) aisle in Westminster Abbey there is a memorial stone. Britten refused a formal burial since he wanted to be buried beside his partner Peter Pears (Location in the Abbey: North Quire Aisle).
• Robert Browning (1812-1889), poet, is buried in Poets' Corner in Westminster Abbey. He was born on 7 May 1812 in London, a son of Robert Browning (1782-1866) and Sarah (Wiedemann). He married Elizabeth Barrett, a famous poet in her own right, in September 1846 (Location in the Abbey: South Transept; Poets' Corner).
• George, 6th Baron Byron (1788-1824). The memorial stone in Poets' Corner Westminster Abbey was given by the Poetry Society and unveiled on May 8, 1969 (Location in the Abbey: South Transept; Poets' Corner).
• Noël Coward (1899-1973), composer and playwright. A memorial was unveiled in 1984 in the south choir aisle of Westminster Abbey. The black marble stone was cut by Ralph Beyer. Thanked by Coward’s partner, Graham Payn, for attending, the Queen Mother replied, "I came because he was my friend" (Location in the Abbey: South Quire Aisle).
• Major-General Sir Herbert Edwardes (1819–1868) was an administrator, soldier, and statesman active in the Punjab, India. He is buried in Highgate Cemetery. A memorial by sculptor William Theed junior, is on the wall of the west aisle of the north transept of Westminster Abbey. He is also commemorated by a stained glass window in the chapel of King’s College London. Brigadier-General John Nicholson (1822–1857) was a Victorian era military officer known for his role in British India. Nicholson never married, the most significant people in his life being his brother Punjab administrators Sir Henry Lawrence and Herbert Edwardes. At Bannu, Nicholson used to ride one hundred and twenty miles every weekend to spend a few hours with Edwardes, and lived in his beloved friend’s house for some time when Edwardes’ wife Emma was in England. At his deathbed he dictated a message to Edwardes saying, "Tell him that, if at this moment a good fairy were to grant me a wish, my wish would be to have him here next to my mother." The love between him and Edwardes made them, as Edwardes’ wife latter described it "more than brothers in the tenderness of their whole lives.” In the retaking of Delhi, India, Nicholson led 2,000 men (mostly British, Pathan, and Punjabi troops) through the Kashmiri Gate in Delhi. Mortally wounded he died at the hour of British victory and is buried at New Delhi (Location in the Abbey: North Transept).
• George Eliot (1819-1880) was not buried in Westminster Abbey because of her denial of the Christian faith and her "irregular" though monogamous life with Lewes. She was buried in Highgate Cemetery (East), Highgate, London, in the area reserved for religious dissenters and agnostics, beside the love of her life, George Henry Lewes. On 2June 1, 1980 a memorial stone was unveiled in Poets' Corner in Westminster Abbey. Stone by John Skelton (Location in the Abbey: South Transept; Poets' Corner).
• Thomas Gray (1716-1771)’s biographer William Mason erected a memorial to him, designed by John Bacon the Elder, in the east aisle of Poets' Corner in Westminster Abbey in 1778. (Location in the Abbey: South Transept; Poets' Corner)
• Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844-1889), Poet. A memorial stone was unveiled in 1975 in Poets' Corner in Westminster Abbey. By sculptor David Peace (Location in the Abbey: South Transept; Poets' Corner).
• A. E. Housman (1859-1936), poet, has a memorial panel in the window above Chaucer's monument in Poets' Corner Westminster Abbey (Location in the Abbey: South Transept; Poets' Corner). he has a memorial also at St Laurence (College Street, Ludlow, Shropshire, SY8 1AN).
• Edward Hyde, 3rd Earl of Clarendon (1661-1723), was the only son of Henry and his first wife Theodosia, daughter of Lord Capel. As Viscount Cornbury was governor of New York from 1702 to 1708. He had a very bad reputation and "his character and conduct were equally abhorred in both hemispheres". He secretly married Catherine O'Brien in 1688 and died in obscurity and debt. His only surviving son Edward as Lord Clifton took his seat in the House of Lords but died unmarried of a fever after a drinking bout. His daughter Theodosia married John Bligh, later Earl of Darnley, and both were buried in the vault (Location in the Abbey: North ambulatory)
• Henry James (1843-1916), American born novelist. On June 17, 1976 a memorial stone was unveiled in Poets’ Corner Westminster Abbey by his great grand-nephew. Cut by Will Carter (Location in the Abbey: South Transept; Poets' Corner).
• James Kendall, politician and governor of Barbados, is buried in the south choir aisle of Westminster Abbey. James’s niece Mary Kendall was buried in the chapel of St John the Baptist in the Abbey and has a monument there with a kneeling alabaster figure of herself. The inscription, written by the Dean of Westminster Francis Atterbury, reads: "Mrs Mary Kendall daughter of Thomas Kendall Esqr. and of Mrs Mary Hallet, his wife, of Killigarth in Cornwall, was born at Westminster Nov.8 1677 and dy’d at Epsome March 4 1709/10, having reach’d the full term of her blessed Saviour’s life; and study’d to imitate his spotless example. She had great virtues, and as great a desire of concealing them: was of a severe life, but of an easy conversation; courteous to all, yet strictly sincere; humble, without meanness; beneficient, without ostentation; devout, without superstition. These admirable qualitys, in which she was equall’d by few of her sex, surpass’d by none, render’d her every way worthy of that close uion and friendship in which she liv’d with the Lady Catherine Jones; and in testimony of which she desir’d that even their ashes, after death, might not be divided: and, therefore, order’d her selfe here to be interr’d where, she knew, that excellent Lady design’d one day to rest, near the grave of her belov’d and religious mother, Elizabeth, Countess of Ranelagh. This monument was erected by Capt. Charles Kendall." Her name was inscribed on the vault stone in front of the monument in the late XIX century. Mary’s father Thomas Kendall, son of a merchant, died in 1684 and Mary lived with the Earl of Ranelagh’s family while James was in the West Indies. Lady Catherine Jones (d.1740) was the Earl’s daughter. Charles was Mary’s cousin and was in the Royal Navy. Her estates were left to her cousin Canon Nicholas Kendall. The coats of arms show those for Kendall and also "or, a chief gules overall on a bend engrailed sable three bezants" for Hallet.
• Herbert, 1st Earl Kitchener (1850-1916), Sirdar of the Egyptian army (Commander in Chief), is remembered on the altar in the south aisle of the Lady Chapel (Location in the Abbey: Lady Chapel)
• D.H. Lawrence (1885-1930), novelist and poet. A memorial stone was unveiled in Poets' Corner Westminster Abbey on 1November 6, 1985. By David Parsley (Location in the Abbey: South Transept; Poets' Corner).
• In July 2002, a memorial window to Christopher Marlowe (1564-1593) – a gift of the Marlowe Society – was unveiled in Poets’ Corner in Westminster Abbey. Controversially, a question mark was added to the generally accepted date of death. On 2October 5, 2011 a letter from Paul Edmondson and Stanley Wells was published by The Times newspaper, in which they called on the Dean and Chapter to remove the question mark on the grounds that it "flew in the face of a mass of unimpugnable evidence.” In 2012, they renewed this call in their e-book Shakespeare Bites Back, adding that it "denies history,” and again the following year in their book Shakespeare Beyond Doubt. (Buried St Nicholas Churchyard, Deptford)
• Just inside the west door of Westminster Abbey there is a memorial brass, by Christopher Ironside, to Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma (1900-1979) and his wife, Countess Mountbatten of Burma. He was Admiral of the Fleet (Location in the Abbey: Nave).
• It has been said that the greatest love of Sir Isaac Newton (1642–1727)’s life was with a fellow mathematician, Fatio de Duillier. They collaborated for several years, and when they broke up over an argument in 1693, Newton suffered symptoms of a nervous breakdown. Fatio assisted John Conduitt (Newton’s nephew) in planning the design, and writing the inscription for Newton’s monument in Westminster Abbey. His large monument is by William Kent and J.M.Rysbrack. Newton has also a Memorial at Trinity College, Cambridge. Fatio died in 1753 and was buried at the church of St. Nicholas, Worcester (Location in the Abbey: Nave).
• After being ill for the last twenty-two years of his life, Laurence Olivier (1907-1989) died of renal failure on 11 July 1989 at his home near Steyning, West Sussex. His cremation was held three days later. The ashes of the greatest actor of his generation, are buried in the south transept of Westminster Abbey. His stone was cut by I.Rees (Location in the Abbey: South Transept).
• Wilfred Owen (1893-1918), poet. Memorial in the Poet’s Corner. The inscription on the stone is taken from Owen’s "Preface" to his poems; "My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity." (Buried Ors Communal Cemetery, Departement du Nord, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France)
• Cecil Rhodes (1853–1902). A small tablet was unveiled in Henry VII's chapel in Westminster Abbey in 1953 (Location in the Abbey: Lady Chapel).
• Seigfried Sassoon (1886-1967), poet. Memorial in the Poet’s Corner. (Buried St Andrew Churchyard, Mells, Somerset)
• Henry John Alexander Seely (1899-1963), 2nd Lord Mottistone, of the architect firm of Seely & Paget, re-built several of the houses in Little Cloister, Westminster Abbey, after war damage. A statue by Edwin Russell remembers him (Location in the Abbey: St Catherine's Chapel Garden; Little Cloister).
• Robert Stewart (1769-1822), Viscount Castlereagh and 2nd Marquis of Londonderry, politician, was buried in the centre of the north transept of Westminster Abbey. His statue is by sculptor John Evan Thomas (Location in the Abbey: North Transept).
• George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham (1592-1628) and King James I of England (1566-1625) are buried in the Henry VII Chapel. King James I’s tomb was lost and not rediscovered until 1869. On His Majesty’s left is the magnificent tomb of his lover George Villiers. On his right is the tomb (with huge bronze figures representing Hope, Truth, Charity and Faith) of Ludovic Stuart, Duke of Richmond and Lennox (1574-1624), son of one of his earliest lovers, Esme Stuart.
• On 14 February 1995 a small stained glass memorial was unveiled in Poets' Corner Westminster Abbey for Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wilde (1854-1900), playwright and aesthete (Location in the Abbey: South Transept; Poets' Corner).



Queer Places, Vol. 2 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532906312
ISBN-10: 1532906315
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228833
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532906315/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ1KZBO/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

Church: Mary Astell died in 1731, a few months after a mastectomy to remove a cancerous right breast. In her last days, she refused to see any of her acquaintances and stayed in a room with her coffin, thinking only of God; she was buried in the churchyard of Chelsea Church in London.

Address: 64 Cheyne Walk, Chelsea, London SW3 5LT, UK (51.48304, -0.17094)

Place
The Chelsea Old Church, also known as All Saints, is an Anglican church, on Old Church Street, Chelsea, near Albert Bridge. It is the church for a parish in the Diocese of London, part of the Church of England. Inside there is a memorial plaque to the author Henry James (1843–1916) who lived nearby on Cheyne Walk. To the west of the church is a small public garden containing a sculpture by Jacob Epstein. Chelsea Old Church dates from 1157. Formerly it was the parish church of Chelsea when it was a village, before it was engulfed by London. The building originally consisted of a XIII-century chancel with chapels to the north and south (c.1325) and a nave and tower built in 1670. The chapels were private property. The one to the north was called the Lawrence Chapel and was owned by Chelsea's Lord of the Manor. The chapel to the south was rebuilt in 1528 as Sir Thomas More's private chapel. The date can be found on one of the capitals of the pillars leading to the chancel, which were reputedly designed by Holbein. There is a statue by Leslie Cubitt Bevis of More outside the church, facing the river. There is a 1669 memorial to Lady Jane Cheyne. It was designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini but executed by an apprentice. The social reformer Catherine Courtney, Baroness Courtney of Penwith, is buried in the church.

Life:
Who: Mary Astell (November 12, 1666 – May 11, 1731)
Mary Astell was an English feminist writer and rhetorician. Her advocacy of equal educational opportunities for women has earned her the title "the first English feminist." Mary Astell was born in Newcastle upon Tyne to Peter and Mary (Errington) Astell. Her parents had two other children, William, who died in infancy, and Peter, her younger brother. She was baptized in St. John's Church in Newcastle. Her family was upper-middle-class and lived in Newcastle throughout her early childhood. Her father was a conservative royalist Anglican who managed a local coal company. As a woman, Mary received no formal education, although she did receive an informal education from her uncle when she was eight, an ex-clergyman named Ralph Astell whose bouts with alcoholism prompted his suspension from the Church of England. Though suspended from the Church, he was affiliated with the Cambridge-based philosophical school that based its teachings around radical philosophers such as Aristotle, Plato, and Pythagoras. Her father died when she was 12 years old, leaving her without a dowry. With the remainder of the family finances invested in her brother's higher education, Mary and her mother relocated to live with Mary's aunt. After the death of her mother and aunt in 1688, Astell moved to Chelsea, London, where she was fortunate enough to become acquainted with a circle of literary and influential women (including Lady Mary Chudleigh, Elizabeth Thomas, Judith Drake, Elizabeth Elstob, and Lady Mary Wortley Montagu), who assisted in the development and publication of her work. She was also in contact with the Archbishop of Canterbury, William Sancroft, who was known for his charitable works; Sancroft assisted Astell financially and, furthermore introduced her to her future publisher. She was one of the first English women to advocate the idea that women were just as rational as men, and just as deserving of education. First published in 1694, her “Serious Proposal to the Ladies for the Advancement of their True and Greatest Interest” presents a plan for an all-female college where women could pursue a life of the mind. After withdrawing from public life in 1709, she founded a charity school for girls in Chelsea as a token of the Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge, organizing the school's curriculum herself with likely financial support from her patrons Lady Catherine Jones and Lady Elizabeth Hastings. When she was 60 years old, Astell was invited to live with Lady Catherine Jones, where she resided until her death. Mary Astell died in 1731, Lady Catherine Jones died in 1740 and is buried with her companion Mary Kendall inside Westminster Abbey.



Queer Places, Vol. 2 edited by Elisa Rolle
ISBN-13: 978-1532906312
ISBN-10: 1532906315
Release Date: July 24, 2016
CreateSpace Store: https://www.createspace.com/6228833
Amazon (print): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1532906315/?tag=elimyrevandra-20
Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IZ1KZBO/?tag=elimyrevandra-20

Profile

reviews_and_ramblings: (Default)
reviews_and_ramblings

October 2017

S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 1011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    

Most Popular Tags

Disclaimer

All cover art, photo and graphic design contained in this site are copyrighted by the respective publishers and authors. These pages are for entertainment purposes only and no copyright infringement is intended. Should anyone object to our use of these items please contact by email the blog's owner.
This is an amateur blog, where I discuss my reading, what I like and sometimes my personal life. I do not endorse anyone or charge fees of any kind for the books I review. I do not accept money as a result of this blog.
I'm associated with Amazon/USA Affiliates Programs.
Books reviewed on this site were usually provided at no cost by the publisher or author. However, some books were purchased by the reviewer and not provided for free. For information on how a particular title was obtained, please contact by email the blog's owner.
Days of Love Gallery - Copyright Legenda: http://www.elisarolle.com/gallery/index_legenda.html

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 24th, 2017 09:25 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios